I am pleased to tell you I won 2nd place in the Greenleaf Dollhouse Spring Fling Contest!!!!
As you can see in the link, I was up against some amazing artists that have incredible skills. I am Honored to have placed with these ladies, let alone with my first complete build!!
I have won a 250$ Gift certificate to Greenleaf now, ohhhhh Christmas gifts!!!!!
Have a look at all the entries when you get a chance, they are very inspirational!.
I wanted to continue a little bit about the house construction with you, I don't have a ton of photos of this phase but the construction of the house was very simple. It is the details that took forever ;)
As you can see the kit was very simple and easy to place together 3 walls and floor, trim pieces and bam! you have a dollhouse!
I started covering sections of the walls with a more firm version of the toiletpaper clay, I wanted it to appear like a worn plaster, since this house is thought to be magical and the tree is grown around it with lots of time. As you can see I lined cracks in various areas around windows and doors as you would think this place would "sway" a bit with the wind.
The interior is a mix of a cheap Crayola air dry clay and some leftover tp' clay I wanted this one to be a thin coat as I placed lathe slats inside this house, lathe slats being lighter, supported by the tree ;)
The lathe boards I decided to do very simply as they only peek out from a few sections and since I knew I would be packing this place full of decorations. to keep it simple and light I simply scored some cardboard like you score floorboards.
Line score and fit a bit
floor board scoring:
And as you can see I glued the slats around and then did the wall covering, adding cracks here and there
After the walls were dry I went about dabbing some light brown and cream to age the walls, then the trim work was placed around.
playing with furniture ;)
The roof that come with the standard house was just cardboard and corrugated cardboard strips, think of tin roof.
I decided to continue on my favorite themes and go with a Tuscan style roof tile. This was a lengthy process but in the cost department, quite inexpensive.
I found this tutorial online about making roof tiles from cardboard Link Unfortunately the kit did not have enough cardboard for a layered roof tile so I disassembled a box I had downstairs and added tile strips which is essential the same.
I placed Kabaob skewers into the ridge areas then painted the piece with a mix of wood glue and paint to firm up the paper..then I speckled it with browns and greens then coated it all once dried with a sealer.
Then you simply have to cut 1000000000000 pieces and layer them for 2 days!! YAY! ;P
Since my build is a old battered windblown shop, I did not worry too much about perfect alignment and I even lifted and bent a few to resemble broken tiles and moss growing around.
Tile, mossing plaster
The deck was done after I placed my shop on the tree so that it could be cut around the branches.
Then I added a few real twigs as rails
I hope you enjoyed this view of the build. I will go over the decoration aspects in the next post.
For those that celebrate have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!