Mar 25, 2014

Miniatures...FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!

Good day good folk of the fifth densest and largest of the eight planets in the Solar System!...<earth>

Science fairs! I am sure a few of us are around this time of the season for our kiddos and nieces, nephews and grandkids.  My daughter and I are growing Alum Crystals at the moment, the science fair is this Friday..

What are Alum crystals you might ask???

Alum is a common pickling spice that can be found in most grocery stores. Of course it is used for many more uses and a variance of crafting techniques.
 
It also grows some fantastic crystals overnight!!
 
We started this project because growing Alum crystals are very easy..cheap and mostly non toxic for children to do the process. You don't want to have constant exposure to Alum but in small doses its fine.
 
Now while researching Alum we found another project that we are doing for the display. They were advertised on Martha Stewart as Cyrystal Egg Geodes:
Beautiful right?
 
Then I came across this interesting beauty...and now we get into miniatures. As we all know we gain ideas from life sized objects and attempt to recreate those objects in smaller scales. So I have decided to try something in the name of MINIATURE SCIENCE!!!!
 
Here is the example of a Alum encrusted Chandelier from Zdeněk Vacek and Daniel Pošta.
 
Where are you going Jane??......
 
So this is just the first attempt ..and its crap... but I thought that I might form a interesting technique for you folks to create your own crystal covered objects. I give to you the ..it was in the water too long..but it has crystals on it...bead and wire..chandelier..ish
 
I don't think anyone else has attempted this technique? Am I wrong?
 
In any case I will attempt another go at creating a better wire structure and soaking it in for a particular time limit. The crystals grow on the structure in hours. So for smaller crystals I think less time may produce smaller finer crystals, maybe multiple soaks.
 
I think we may have stumbled on something here folks!! More testing is needed more miniature scientists..maybe a lab...maybe some funding from NASA
.............ok I am rambling...
 
but yell this in your mind before you go...
 
FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!

21 comments:

  1. How cool! There are are so many possibilities here! And all of those crystals look so pretty too. Are alum crystals stable? Or will moisture turn them to mush again? If they do turn to mush in moist conditions, could they be sealed with a varnish to avoid the problem? It's all in the name of science, Jane, that my mind rushes to all of these questions. ;-) Seriously, though, this is way cool, you're an inventor, having created something no one else has, and it's beautiful too! Awesome! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking they can be ruined by water, I know you can reconstitute them. But I don't know if humidity can do it or if a covering would dissolve it..we need a lab to figure this one out I think ;P and funding..for minis...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, a lab and funding for minis! Great idea! xo Jennifer

      Delete
  2. Impresionante!!! Una idea genial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chandelier looks beautiful. I will be watching your experiment with interest ;)
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neato cool wow! I believe you are forging into uncharted miniature territory here. That chandelier is very pretty. Abstract art even. I will be looking forward to seeing future experiments Mrs. Fanaticus....or should I say Dr. Fanaticus? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think a phd in crystalisum? That's a real degree right? Is called for ;P

      Delete
  5. oooh.... this is a fantastic idea!! I'm sure if anyone can figure it out it's you :D I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or I will forget about it..that is also like me *lolz*

      Delete
  6. Oh it will get better ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's impressive! I never knew! Let us know about your future projects with this wonderful scientific testing! My boy just finished making his planet (Saturn) for the school project. And that bad mommy that I am didn't take any pictures! But to be honest, it wasn't rocket science so nothing much to brag about! I wonder if you can make some eerie winter scenes with those crystals. Thinking about "Frozen"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing where helping our kids can lead us some times. From science experiment to crystal chandeliers! Great science if you ask me. I look forward to your next progress report on the use of science in miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea, you are so inspiring in your creative thinking. I look forward to seeing more.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't have science fairs in Sweden, but I've seen them i many American TV-programs and movies =)
    I'm not much of a science fan, but seeing the chandelier, I wish I was ;)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's neat, thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant idea! Your chandelier is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very interesting! If you could grow a crystal chandelier it would make things a lot easier!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline
    P.S. I remember when it was 9 planets! I feel cheated!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you guys in creating a fund for "science and minis". Put a Paypal Donate button to your blog...I'll start the donation going! :) :) :) :) How have I missed this post?? I hate Blogger and Google...go Yahoo! !!!! :) I was thinking, can you add some food coloring or glass coloring to the water to get colorful crystals??? Would that ruin the composition and the chemicals???? Have you tried adding color or do you already know it wouldn't work?? I'm curious... Anyway, even if your chandelier is not perfect, the crystals gave a fantastic feel to it...I love it!!!! Really beautiful. I love the idea. I'm happy I found this post, this is why I do enjoy to read people's blogs....you never know what you might find!!! This is great Jane, thanks for sharing all your "science" related trials!!! :) :) And well done for that! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ............ I just read on Martha Stewart website that you can add powered egg dye or liquid food coloring to the mix to get the crystals colorful!!! Great! Sorry for the question above but I hadn't read the tutorial when I wrote my comment above and I didn't know!

      Delete